[aprssig] spaces in object names (meaning)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 13 13:20:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Bob Bruninga  wrote:

> So the OBJECT name field was made 9 bytes (padded by trailing
> spaces) so that it could (as a minimum) carry IDENTICAL names as
> the station format (XXXXXX-SS) but in the case of the OBJECT, now,
> there was no longer the AX.25 restriction to only CALLSIGN
> formats.  Hence full 9 character names could be used using any
> printable ASCII.

In the back of my mind I had a feeling for the object/item/station
equivalence idea that you've spouted before, but we didn't implement
it that way in Xastir.  As I mentioned today I do see the utility in
that and feel that it outweighs the risks.  I would like to change
Xastir to correspond to this scheme.

One comment though about your text above:  If objects/items/stations
are to replace each other shouldn't they have equivalent name
spaces?  One could create an Object or Item (sorry I keep bringing
up Items but Xastir will support them for some time yet) that cannot
be represented by a station name.  This breaks the
any-type-can-replace-any-other scheme just slightly.  Not a _big_
deal, but just thought I'd bring it up.  I can certainly live with
it as-is.