[aprssig] spaces in object names

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 13 12:48:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 08:57:24AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> > The
> > problem is we (myself included) as authors have -assumed- that we
> > can consider stations and Objects as being the same.  We display
> > them the same.  We store them in the same tables.  We therefore
> > equate Object names to station callsigns.
>
> Depends.  In Xastir we keep them in the same linked lists but set
> flags to specify the type.  We therefore do keep track of them
> separately.  I'd have to check what would happen if we get an Object
> with the same name as a station though.  It most likely would merge
> the new data with the old record, therefore resetting the flags and
> perhaps combining data that shouldn't be combined.

Xastir merges the data from the object with that of the identically-named
station.  I discovered this by surprise during a DF operation when I clumsily
started naming my DF objects KM5VY-<sequence number> until the the sequence
number hit the SSID of my truck's D700, whereupon my truck's station icon
in Xastir sprouted DF bearing lines that followed me around as I drove (at a
constant bearing relative to my course, so it flopped around all over the
place on a windy country road).

I did change the code that night to support a button on the station info dialog
to remove such DF data from a station record, so that one can correct such
flubs without having to restart the program.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation