[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 13 11:14:30 EDT 2009

> I suspect that many (most) weather station
> software that are generating APRS data
> are actually sending wind speed in mph.

Yes, that is the spec.  But that is the packet format only.  Every APRS client software that displays WX data should hve the option for display in any local units desired.

> Another compelling argument to re-write
> the spec with regard to DIR/SPD.

Not compelling at at all.  THe spec could be in furlong's per fortnight just as well, how you DISPLAY that data is up to you and SHOULD offer both metric, knots, and kph and MPH as the users choice.  But the on-air format MUST be in only one defined unit or the recepient has no clue what it means.
Or how to display it or convert it.

Bob, WB4APR