[aprssig] spaces in object names

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:09:02 EDT 2009

Steve,

You have asked for an example of where more than on embedded space
would be useful.
I have and example.

There are two bike rides going simultaneously in two different parts
of the country, but less than 250 miles apart. These two rides have
three rest stops.

For whatever reason, the primary net station for one of the rides is
not using local RF or a part of the course is out of RF range and that
station must augment his display with an APRS-IS feed. As fate would
have it, both rides have used "REST 1" "REST 2" and "REST 3" for the
rest stops. Since both events are using 144.390, both are injecting
data into the system.  The net station notices that his rest areas
randomly disappear from his screen. Confused, he brings up his
station/object/item list and sees that the 'new' location of "REST 1"
is 200 miles to his southwest. Finally realizing that this is because
of his APRS-IS feed, and to keep the rest areas 'looking the same' on
his display, he replaces them with "REST  1", "REST  2", etc, with 2
spaces between the REST and number. Once that is done, he no longer
has them dropped off his map and everyone's tactical display is still
easy on the user's eye.

What you are suggesting here is that this option no longer be allowed.
What I'm saying is that sometime, in some cases, ambiguity of this
sort *is* an advantage. This is just a possible scenario. I understand
fully that by using filters and such the issue can be lessened, but if
we choose to collapse multiple spaces to a single space, then all of
the objects above would always be "REST ?" and overwrite each other in
the databases. To me, that would cause more confusion than have "REST
1", "REST  1", and "REST   1" on my maps.

Randy
WF5X