[aprssig] spaces in object names

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Thu Aug 13 09:10:10 EDT 2009

But that is still a design issue.  If the client allowed you to "move this object", then it wouldn't be an issue.  As I stated and you reiterated here, that is the very reason that Object names and station callsigns and Item names should not "be the same" for tactical use but should be stored and displayed distinctly.  However, we have not done that to date.  You have convinced me, however, that jFindu will be storing and displaying stations, Objects, and Items distinctly to avoid this ambiguity.

> > BTW, what can make this more confusing is if we consider Objects and
> > Items as separate entities from stations in our display and storage,
> > then we also have to consider Objects and Items as separate entities
> > period because of the difference in naming requirements for the two
> > packet types.
>
> All the more argument against treating them separately.

No, the exact opposite: all the more argument FOR treating them separately.

This thread is going nowhere.  You have made up your mind that regardless of the specific statements regarding software that your prohibition will break, you don't want to allow embedded spaces or at least multiple embedded spaces.  It is obvious that nothing that anyone on this SIG has said has moved you one iota from that position.  You continually go back to comparing D-STAR with APRS and that comparison is without merit and has had nothing to do with this thread other than in your head.  One -example- of using multiple embedded spaces is how we use them to represent D-STAR repeaters accurately but that is just an example and not what is the root cause of this issue.

Please feel free to flame away.  I have succinctly stated the issue, the source of the issue, the discussed options, and the ramifications of them without misquoting, assuming, or other pretentious personal attacks.  I have no more need to pursue this.  Talking to a closed mind is a waste of my time and this list's time. (You wanted a personal attack, there you go).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net