[aprssig] spaces in object names

n4lbl alan.schulman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:20:08 EDT 2009

It is _not_ clear that I understand the problem.  I've tried to write what I
think it is and hope that where I fail someone will clarify or correct me.

The adverse effects here are to those using objects that came from D-Star
sources.  This was just recognized but since D-Star isn't new the problem
isn't new.  Safety is a potential problem but the small (?) presence of
D-Star has rendered it a small problem (?).  Eliminating multiple contiguous
non-trailing blanks clearly changes the data as viewed by a machine.  To an
eyeball that isn't the case.

Is this a crisis requiring an answer this moment or do we have time to
think??

D-Star has it's own standard.  Is there an opportunity to negotiate with the
D-Star folks with the possibility of a better solution all around??  That
seems unlikely but is a serious question.  I would speculate that the D-Star
folks never asked the question "...but what about APRS?"

D-Star may just be just the first problem.  Anything from A-Atom to
Z-Universe may pop up and eventually have poor interactions with APRS.
Should APRS be insular and insist that everything else conforms with it??
This obviously contradicts my previous paragraph.  (Remember that law of
computer science:  GIGO (garbage in - garbage out.)

I don't have any flesh in this game.  I'm just hoping that I can be helpful
by trying to slow things down.

Alan     n4lbl