[aprssig] spaces in object names

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Wed Aug 12 19:03:55 EDT 2009

One litmus test would be what is printed when inverse video or inverse
printing is utilized?

A VT-100 (the de factor standard according to Wikipedia) terminal would
display a space character as a block. Just because you cannot see it does
not mean it is not there. It may be the mode of print does not visibly
display it, but most ASCII terminals will definitely display it in the
inverse video mode. Therefore, if I can see it, it must be there and it
is... Wikipedia has a link to the ASCII page and the space appears as one of
the 94 printable characters. Escape sequences where always deemed as
non-printable characters.

On a lighter note (on second thought, hold the lighter for a moment):
When I see the term ASCII my mind was severely altered from a HAM radio
adventure. Many years ago I received an invite to a Sea-W ASCII sending
contest aboard the 'Ocean Breeze' sailing in the Caribbean. What in the
world is an ASCII sending contest? I had visions of VT-100 terminals in my
mind or some character set building exercise. When I arrived at the forward
deck all I could see was the ocean and the bright blue turf covering the
floor with this white porcelain seat front and center with the top lid
lifted. Yes, it was a potty! The lid was lifted to reveal the ASCII seat.
That's right, the seat on the toilet was the ASCII. Now you might be
thinking this is a little crazy with about 80 HAM's walking around the potty
wondering what in the world it was! Chip Margelli gave the instructions and
how one would sit and bounce up and down on the ASCII to send a pre-written
message in Morse Code. Then, each participant would take their position on
the throne and pound away... As you can imagine, there was a lot of laughter
generated and still to this day it makes cry with laughter. The object of
the game was to see who could send code the fastest, but you could receive
some points for style... Gordon West concocted some coconut head phones.
Lord only knows where he got this neatly sliced in half coconuts. Of course
Morse Code really does not have a space character, it is only assumed by
timing in most cases.

73's,
Tim - N8DEU