[aprssig] spaces in object names

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Aug 12 18:34:09 EDT 2009

On an APRS display with proportional fonts, I believe Steve is saying that "K4HG
A" and K4HG  A" are likely to be indistinguishable for many people.  I am not
sure that this deserves such a heated battle unless there really is a good
reason why a ' ' character is must have separator compared to some other
delimiter such as '-'.

As a similar example, URLs and domain names do not have spaces in them for
similar reasons to Steve's suggestion that spaces are difficult and more often
impossible to distinguish as separate characters when placed together in
quantities of two or more.

e.g. we could all register the domain names "my home.com" with multiple spaces,
and have a hard time trying to figure out which one of all the possible
instances someone was actually referring to.

Spaces do not provide nearly the same information as characters do, except when
separating words.  But when all of the characters provide definitive difference
in meaning, like in call signs, spaces don't really matter, and '-' seems like a
fine separator between call signs and 'station' instance references.

Gregg Wonderly