[aprssig] spaces in object names

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Aug 12 17:29:23 EDT 2009

The issue is not which side is right. Wikipedia says it is not. The
fact is, it is debatable. If you want to debate it with someone else,
feel free.

The issue is this ambiguity creates a problem with the use of APRS,
and it needs to be resolved. If we had been aware of this ambiguity it
would have been clarified in spec 1.0. Instead, it is clarified in
1.2. But it is clarified.

If someone were in court being charged with "Delivery of illegal
packets" I absolutely agree that they should be acquitted. We are not
running a trial, I am not blaming anyone for doing this, it is just a
different interpretation of an unexpectedly ambiguous phrase. Time to
clarify and move on.

The original intent was that spaces should not be embedded in objects,
and that has now been mabe explicit.

Steve K4HG