[aprssig] Mic-E Device Type Codes?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Aug 12 08:24:35 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I've scoured the archives for this information that I KNOW I've seen in
the past, but I didn't think I needed to know it then and it's not an
easy thing to figure out search terms for, so here goes...

There is a trailing character representing the device type that Mic-E
encoding devices place after their encoded position.  I've tracked down
that a D7 uses '>' and a D710 uses '='.  I'm suspecting a D700 uses ']'.

Does anyone know what the Vx8 puts in this position, if anything?

Are there other Mic-E encoders that use other characters that we know of?

Confirmations and documentation pointers would be appreciated.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile

PS.  Here's a sample packet from a D7 showing the trailing >.  Well, not
exactly trailing, it actually comes between the encoded position
(lCPm^bv/) and the encoded altitude ("4'})

KJ4ERJ-8>2WUY7X,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,KJ4ERJ-2:`lCPm^bv/>"4'}