[aprssig] GPS 18 USB PWR supply

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:18:23 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Andrew Rich
(Home)<vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
> I think the USB on my laptop should be ok to power my LVC GPS 18 ?

Yes.

> The PC version is very similar and I suspect has a serial port usb chip
> embeded in the connector ?

No USB, the GPS18PC is RS232.  Add a 5V regulator in a cigarette
lighter plug and a DB9 to the LVC and you've got an 18PC (or, the way
we use 'em, chop the connectors off the 18PC and you've got an LVC).

Both the 18PC and the 18LVC put out the same serial signal, which is
TTL voltages but RS232 levels.

The GPS18USB has a USB plug and is a different beast entirely.  It
will not do NMEA and doesn't have RS232 signals available anywhere.

-Jason
kg4wsv