[aprssig] ARRRGH!!! Somebody Kill This Website !!!

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Mon Aug 10 08:17:30 EDT 2009

Best you get onto the "South East England APRS Yahoo Mailing List"
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/APRSSOUTHEAST

And mention that...   But have your fireproof suit and tin hat on ready!

The fact that there is a seperate APRASOUTHEAST group, indipendent from
the main APRSUK group, should speak volumes to you...

Remember, this site is in the UK, and things are (a little) different
over hear.  Yes, the advice is truly awful, but if you look at that page
(your link below) and then look at what the local users are doing, you
might get more of a feel for what is happening.  Rightly or wrongly.
There is an iGate down there somewhere too, that often spews out
international traffic from the IS with long paths.  Mindless!

At the moment, from my perspective, APRS in the UK seems to be dying on
it's feet mainly due to some licencing condition changes a short while
ago, that effectivly prohibit unatended operation full stop (not only
digi's) unless you have a NOV (Notice of Variation) for your licence and
situation.   Though relatively easy to get, the stumbling block for most
UK ham's, is the need for 3 shutdown opp's that can get to the site
within 30 mins of being contacted by the authorities to shut it down.
Remote control is not permitted for that purpose, sadly Ham Radio is
seen as "just CB" by the masses and the media here in the UK, not being
held in anyway near the same regard as it is in the US or some other
parts of the EU.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.