[aprssig] BEACON - APRS or Not?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Aug 9 19:39:13 EDT 2009

Not everything on an APRS network must be valid APRS data. This is
especially common with BEACON packets, which is the default in some
TNCs for beaconing. You may have noted that the APRS packet types are
identified by the first character of the payload, for example > means
a status packet follows. You may have noticed that only special
characters are used to defined the packets types. This minimizes the
chance of a non-APRS beacon packet (which most likely starts with a
letter or number) being confused for an APRS packet.

The destination address is used to exclude packets for ALT Net
operation, but just because a packet has a destination that is a valid
APRS destination the packet does not need to contain valid APRS
formatted data. Your parser must gracefully ignore those things it
cannot understand...

Steve K4HG