[aprssig] GPS 18 coordinates

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Aug 8 22:06:08 EDT 2009

Andrew Rich (Home) wrote:
> Even the GARMIN docs are wrong

If you are aiming to write general purpose NMEA parsing code, I
recommend you prepare your code to accept 1-3 digits for degrees and 1-6
digits for minute decimals. Integer minutes are always 2 digits, zero
padded if necessary. The great majority of NMEA producing devices
zero-pad the degrees value, but I have seen some that don't do that. The
number of minute decimals varies typically between 2 and 4, but it
doesn't hurt if you prepare for something between 1 and 6 at least.

   Tapio