[aprssig] Maryland, NoVa Voice Alert

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Aug 8 13:39:44 EDT 2009

QRM-FREE testing of the Crossband Regional Voice Alert:

A polite way to test this Crossband Voice Alert without bringing up every Voice Alert mobile in the state, is to do your "can-you-hear-me-now" testing from your mobile by TXing on 146.52 T100 and listening to the UHF output on 445.925 MHz.

It is full duplex, so you can hear yourself for verification of the links.  If the 146.52 T100 return path works, then you know the opposite direction 445.925 T100 to Voice Alert 144.39 T100 will work when needed.

Remember, add T100 to your 146.52 and put that in your CALL channel for quick reply access.  OR, for each such Regional APRS Voice Alert Call-up, just everyone agree that the reply-back channel is a local repeater with the same coverage area as the cross-band Voice Alert repeater location.  Each such APRS Regional Voice Alert system will be geographic-specific, fixed on the location of the crossband repeater, so local use should dictate.

The only reason we put the call-back on 146.52 T100 was because the RX side of the VHF radio and the TX side of the 445.925 radio was there and otherwise unused.  May as well use it for something.  Though it is not required as part of the functionality of the system.

Bob, WB4APR