[aprssig] RADIO paths in APRS Servers

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Aug 8 12:07:21 EDT 2009

>>>>> who or what is "XXXX*,WIDE2" ?

> My guess is a path of WIDE2-1.
> XXXXX digi'd it, decremented WIDE2
> to 0 and sent it as WIDE2* to
> show the path is used up.

OR, it is a WIDE2-2 path and some digi in the area is missconfigured to the old-N paradigm and is not doing digipeater ID.  AND you cannot tell if that digi is before or after the XXXX digi!  ARGH...

This is why we need the New-N paradigm FULLY 100% implemented to get the network traceable and working consistently and so we can identify these problems and fix them.  And the burden is on the USERS to find these problems.

Some digi's can go misconfigured for decades unless locals are vigilant to make sure it is *working* correctly as a New-N digi, and not just a superficial "S" digi, but without the correct settings.

If your local digi is still showing with an "N" overlay, then guaranteed, it is not New-N.  But just having the overlay changed to an "S" does not prove that its other settings are correct.

Bob, WB4APR