[aprssig] RADIO paths in APRS Servers

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Aug 8 12:00:15 EDT 2009

>> VAST MAJORITY:  ...most mobiles use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1...
>> Which will arrive as...
>> K4HG>APRS,W4XYZ*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1:...
>> K4HG>APRS,W4XYZ*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1:...
>>
> Wouldn't these... actually come out
> with the WIDE1 marked used (WIDE1*)
> with their callsign inserted before as in:
> K4HG>APRS,W4XYZ,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1:...

Yes.  My bad.  BUT...

Tha path CAN occur from a missconfigured KPC-3 Version 8.2  digi, that does not have the UIDIGI WIDE1-1 mitigating setting!  And the packet DIES.  This is what WE users have to be ever vigilant about.  If we dont look at the packets, and don't catch these problems, they will continue to undermine APRS reliability for years.  These kinds of misconfigurations can exist for decades until the SYSOP dies or his digi gets struck by lightening and he has to go update it..

Actually, maybe these can be globally detected on APRS-IS???

That would be a great public service to find these and root them out.  No, we may not find all of them, since the APRS-IS does not necessarily see all of them, but it would be a great start.  Just look for ANY occurence of "XXXXX*,WIDE1," and you have just nailed the XXXXXX digi as having this settings error.

> PPS.  However, there's an amazing
> lack of consistency on whether or
> not stations prior to the final used
> one are marked used or not.

That is only a function of the reeiving TNC, an dsome do and some do not.  But in the packet, ALL prior to the * are used up, just not shown...

Bob