[aprssig] RADIO paths in APRS Servers

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 7 13:03:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> PPS.  However, if you actually have a chance to see the raw AX.25 packet,
> there's an amazing lack of consistency on whether or not stations prior to
> the final used one are marked used or not.  Consider the following paths
> intercepted from my TT4's KISS stream directly off the RF.  Note how AI4LE-1
> and KA1VRF-7 mark their source call "used" and the fact that all inserted
> calls are actually marked used although if you look at the raw packets coming
> over APRS-IS, only the last used station is so marked.

In the actual AX.25 packet each used digi slot _is_ marked.  What
you're seeing are textual representations of the AX.25 header
portions done by TNC or packet software that can represent that
header in a variety of ways.  Sometimes they mark each used one up
to the final used one, sometimes they only mark the last one used.

> Unfortunately, none of these packets show the non-used before used that I was
> trying to show, but now that I think about it, those may result from a Digi
> responding to a preemption (out of order) path as described on
> http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Digipeater_Setup#Preemption?

Unlikely.  Few people are using that feature.