[aprssig] Hardware for new APRS Digi?

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Wed Aug 5 18:10:00 EDT 2009

I run Alinco 130 and Alinco 140 radios.  Seem to work pretty good until your
antenna gets hit by lightening.  Then the radio will be toast despite all
the grounding and lightning protection.  Yes the site owner will usually
insist on at least notch filters and commercial antenna.  We did try a ham
antenna the first year we put the SOMTN digi up, it not only did not survive
the winter but the radio transmitting into no antenna caused the radio to
blow too.....  So if you are on a mountain top, do it right.  I would not
recommend any set up that needs a computer since most mountain top sites, at
least around here, do not have access for a good six months in the
winter.....  Computers are prone to crash, power is prone to fail and you
don't want to go back up there to get it all going again.

The KPC3+ has proved to be just about bullet proof and generally will run
for several years without needing any attention.  Be sure to set it up for
remote access so you can do some reprogramming should it be required.  You
can find the KPC3+ settings on our web site below.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info