[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 4 09:00:04 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Good point! A dedicated add-on to UI-View could do this nicely.
>
> Not in can-you-hear-me-now mode like Info-Kiosk, but a
> continuous server that queries the EchoLink data base, and then
> puts out the local objects to a custom path for each one.

UI InfoKiosk beacons an object to announce its own presence. Mobile
users with receive capability would see a beacon comment like "Msg ?INFO
to <callsign> for commands". The mobile user would send "?INFO" to the
callsign mentioned. It would respond with one or several messages
listing the stored objects. The mobile use would send a message with
e.g. "?POLICE" or "?POOL" or "?SCHOOL"  or "?ECHOLNK" (naturally, only
using objects mentioned in the response) to receive the desired
information. The InfoKiosk responds with one or messages listing the
requested information... e.g. I sent ?SCHOOL to my InfoKiosk and it
responded with 4 messages listing the schools. It then sent out the 4
corresponding objects.

> Hopefully UI-View has the hooks for such an add-on to use its own
> path for each packet?

InfoKiosk uses the path entered in the station setup. I happen to use a
one hop path. Stations setting up a UI InfoKiosk should use a reasonable
path... e.g. if they were on a hilltop, perhaps no path at all, or in my
case, one specific digi so the beaconed information doesn't get
propagated by potentially dozens of digis that might be within earshot.

As I mentioned previously, it isn't the same as the IRLP APRS status
script that runs automatically on my IRLP node. The script takes care of
itself. I have it set to beacon every 20 minutes and whenever the node
status changes. My IGate then gates it to RF. Without that, it would
only be seen on the APRS-IS. My KPC3+ based digi beacons an object
(direct every 10 minutes) for the local voice repeater. It takes care of
itself. The InfoKiosk only beacons its own presence periodically. It's
up to mobile users to then request specific information from it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH