[aprssig] iPhone web position

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Aug 3 13:05:47 EDT 2009

On Aug 2, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:

> I do wish it had a way to make the GPS stay on longer before
> reporting. Google Latitude has the same issue... reports posit too
> soon and the position is a very rough guess.

OK, try it now. It is set for 60 second updates, after it gets well
exercised I'll drop it back to two minutes, and at some point I'll
probably make it change rates based on movement, though I probably
won't go so far as to pin corners.

No matter what you will get an initial cell tower fix. This is as much
a feature as anything else. When you get to the page, you will want
the radar image as soon as possible. Also, original phones will never
get a more accurate fix.

Battery drain is there, but really not much more than the screen
alone. A 25 minute round trip to the store with 100% screen
brightness, bluetooth audio to my car sound system, and no sleeping
took the phone from 100% to 87% battery, so figure something like
three hours for the full charge. Anything more than an hour will mean
you probably want to plug it in.

Steve K4HG