[aprssig] iPhone web position

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Aug 2 09:06:48 EDT 2009

In a post a little while back I mentioned the iPhone OS 3 feature that
lets javascript grab your position from the web browser. Several
people asked for more info. I have a little test page set up:

http://www1.findu.com/gps-test.html

This will only work from a cell phone that supports this API. It is an
open standard not designed by Apple, but I do not know what other
phones (if any) support it now. The sample page pulls of the NWS radar
nearest the cell phone's position and plots its position over the
radar, so people outside of the US, sorry. Get your weather services
to open up their radar images! Look at the page's source to see the
tiny bit of javascript needed. Hopefully javascript based sites like
openaprs will add this this feature, there is a lot of potential here...

Steve K4HG