[aprssig] which GPS to buy

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Apr 25 14:40:44 EDT 2009

John K4AG wrote...

> I haven't been paying attention to the Tom Tom...

I've never paid any attention to the Tom Tom other than looking it up
for a friend after he got a Tom Tom and finding that it didn't spit out
NMEA.

> and Nuvi devices that have been discussed here in the past. Now I'm
> thinking of getting one, so the question is which of these units works
> with APRS and interfaces with a TNC and/or TT3 type units. Do they
> output NMEA strings or a proprietary string?

The Nuvi series put out Garmin format. Usually, not outputting NMEA on a
serial port is the kiss of death for APRS use. However, most of the Nuvi
series (all?) can go into FMI (fleet management interface) mode with the
right cable and can be used with the Tracker 2 from Argent Data... OT2m,
T2-135, T2-301 etc. www.aragentdata.com That gives you send and receive
APRS message capability from the Nuvi.

Argent Data also has a cable that converts Garmin format to NMEA. The T2
series know how to "talk" Garmin.

NOTE... only the Nuvi 350 handles waypoint upload properly. On the other
Nuvi models, you get a "breadcrumb trail" of new waypoints for mobile
stations. I assume fixed stations just keep stacking up on the same
spot. The 350 is the only model that doesn't have the waypoint dupe
problem.

> Is there a site that shows compatibility?

There might be a "wiki" somewhere that lists such things, but I don't
have the time to go looking for it. I would always go straight to the
manufacturer's site and look up the specs. They should indicate what
kind of an interface it has. For the most part, you want NMEA, but
again, the T2s know how to "talk" Garmin, plus there is the
"Garmin to NMEA" cable from Argent Data.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH