[aprssig] Differential GPS?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Apr 20 23:19:29 EDT 2009

My recollection is we added this when Steve Bible of TAPR produced his
differential GPS generator, it cost maybe $300 including the GPS. That
project never got traction for the channel load issue you mention, and
then Garmin killed the GPS it depended upon which killed the project.
It sure was a cool thing though. This was very different from the boat
store models. Boat store DGPS receivers depend on a site which
determines the GPS errors and transmits them on subcarriers of
broadcast FM stations or other transmitters. The TAPR kit essentially
created your own DGPS station, which even today is very expensive.

So yes, given few people bought these kits, that they are permanently
unavailable, that no one seems to be using them now, and that the
shutoff of SA and adoption of WAAS has all but eliminated the need,
I'd say it is OK to remove the code.

Steve K4HG