[aprssig] Appalachian Trail Golden Packet Digipeater

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 08:49:37 EDT 2009

Hi Bob...

You're going to need a bigger battery!

Those capacity ratings are only for a very low current draw.  (C/20 from
memory, like 375mA)  The more current you pull, the lower the available
capacity is, and it falls quite rapidly too as the load current rises.

If you had a good regulating DC-DC converter in line, you could keep the
radio happy, while sucking the battery dry, but again, that's more to
carry, and more inefficiency too.

I'd have thought doing the AT trial on an alternative (quiet) frequency
with low power, say 5W and "good" antenna's (wire or co-ax co-linear's
hooked up a tree, or under a kite etc) would work well.  A D7 with the
affore mentioned jelly cell will do about 5W out, and as you say, is a
proven bit of kit.   Plus, it all packs away in a small space.   I'd
even opt for a 17AH battery, but that's just my thinking.

The solar panel (or wind genny?) as a charging backup would be a good
idea, but again, to make it work reliably, a "Tiny" 1AH battery isn't
going to cut it, as with small capacity batteries and "alternative"
energy sources, you do need a charge regulator or you'll cook the
battery.  Jelly's don't like being overcharged at all, almost as much as
they hate being over discharged..
Of course, if you can drive to the site, none of this is a problem!

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.