[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 58, Issue 5

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Apr 6 01:14:29 EDT 2009

>    Personally, after the first one I saw, and the way the perpetrator
> reacted by putting "suck it" in his beacon text, I suggest we just go
> ahead and turn them in.

Absolutely.  If they're clearly aware they're breaking the law, it
should go straight to the FCC.  I'm just concerned about people who
either don't realize that a license is required or think it's some minor
formality that doesn't really matter.  Those people should be gently
educated and given a chance to mend their ways without their first
contact with the ham community being an adversarial one.

That said, all you have to do is glance at the enforcement letters to
see that ham radio still seems to attract more than its share of jerks
and genuine mental problems.  I don't expect that's going to change
(though at least the Internet has given a lot of them another outlet!)
but we shouldn't assume that everyone operating illegally or improperly
is one of these people.

Scott
N1VG