[aprssig] Data in APRS-IS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Apr 4 04:48:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> But ONLY "names" beginning with "APxxxx" are valid APRS packets.
> (there are some other exceptions like "CQ", "QST", "BEACON"
> etc).  But any other "name" in the AX.25 TOCALL of an APRS
> packet turns it into a non APRS packet that will only be decoded
> by other softwware set to the same ALTNET address.

That's not quite true. I would count mic-e encoded packets as completely
valid APRS packets, and they can have just about anything as the AX.25
destination callsign. If anyone would filter packets based on the tocall
starting with "AP", they would break the network for anyone using mic-e.

And then there are the NMEA transmitters, too.

   - Hessu, OH7LZB