[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 07:14:48 EDT 2009

2009/4/1 Wayne Sanderson <whsander at gmail.com>:
> record all the received packets over a three minute period of monitoring
> 144.39 1200 operations, compile them into one long data stream and at the
> end of that 3rd minute transmit that three minute take from 144.39 1200 onto
> the 440 UHF band 9600 channel in one long burst.

Sorry, but I think this is a very bad idea.  If we're talking about a
very small "network" where there is only one digi and everyone on that
network can live with a 3 minute latency, it may be OK.  for a general
APRS network, it's a disaster.  Mobile stations may ping-pong every
three minutes if two such digis were out of sync on their 3 minute
window.

Improving bandwidth and throughput is great, but if such latency is
the cost, it's not really helpful to a "real time tactical network."

-Jason
kg4wsv