[aprssig] Building a new digi (RX performance?)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Apr 2 01:21:44 EDT 2009

I've tested the T2-301 with weak signals and I've been very happy with
the performance.  I'd have to check my notes, but I'm almost certain I
had it down to at least -116 dBm.  I'll check at the office tomorrow,
and I'll do the same test on my TH-D7A for comparison.

Keith mentioned the T2-135, and honestly the 135 (at least prior to PCB
v1.2) has had the most trouble with receive sensitivity.  The new v1.2
board has improved filtering and so far seems to be a lot more
consistent.  Overall performance is improved, but more importantly, so
far I haven't run into any poorly performing units.  I thought at first
that it might be variation in the 2211 chip causing some boards to have
weak RX, but the variability doesn't show up in the other T2 versions.

Also, the newest firmware version improve RX performance in all T2
models.  When everything is already adjusted right it should just be a
minor improvement, but it seems to make a significant improvement in
some marginal setups.  The change involved tweaking the sample rate and
the clock recovery logic.

Scott
N1VG