[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Wed Apr 1 23:52:08 EDT 2009

Yes, the 9600 baud APRS network would work just fine.  It has been done in
the Seattle Area for several years as an experiment on 440.800 MHz, 223.600
and on 145.550 and it has worked very successfully!  Bob King K7OFT is the
one who pioneered the 9600 baud experimentation in our area and would be a
good person to contact in helping you set up a similar 9600 baud network in
your area.  Bob uses special paths on this network in order to minimize the
ping-pong effect since all those signals are retransmitted on the main
network of 144.390 at 1200 baud via the internet.

Recently we also have a second 9600 baud network in our area spearheaded by
N7FSP on 440.875 and 144.350 since Scott did not agree with the special
paths.

So, yes 9600 baud APRS works well but it requires people to get together and
set up a network to make it all work well and as we all know, it is next to
impossible to get everyone to work together to accomplish a common goal
Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info