[aprssig] How to deal with DTMF keypad differences betweenmanufacturers

Paul Zawada engineerz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:07:52 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
> My gut sense is that in the amateur radio context, this whole horribly
> clunky user interface of trying to enter alpha characters on
> numeric-only "non-keyboards" is doomed to the same lack of wide-spread
> acceptance as "Voice alert".

Yeah, that text messaging thing on cell phones will never catch on either.

All kidding aside, this is exactly the interface that millions of
teenagers are completely comfortable with, many to the point where
they don't even need to look at the screen to see the message they are
tapping.  While the implementation on current ham handhelds may be
lacking (especially if you're trying to tap out "live" DTMF over the
air), but this is one of many things we need implemented properly to
make the hobby relevant to the younger generation.  It would be neat
to see an APRS messaging platform built to look like a typical cell
phone text messaging interface.  (Sorry, I've never used a TH-D7; how
similar is that?)

--zawada