[aprssig] How to deal with DTMF keypad differencesbetweenmanufacturers

Garrett Sloan garrett at datplace.com
Tue Sep 30 13:46:42 EDT 2008

Just since I happen to end up working on many phone systems & data entry
systems, the published ITU Standard (ITU E.161) for DTMF arranged keypads
follows the Yaesu and Telephone implementation of 1-(none) 2-abc ... 7-pqrs
8-tuv 9-wxyz.
Before this became the "standard" the difference was with q&z which were not
labeled, but if they were, they were assigned to either the "1" or "0" key
on some phones.
Every phone system I've worked on follows the ITU.161 spec for 7-pqrs
9-wxyz, and every automated directory system I've used defaults to saying
"for Q press 7, or Z press 9".
Q & Z were the "mobile" ones, Looking at my 2 Linemans sets, my "old" one
has Q&Z on the "0" key, while my newer fluke has them properly on 7 & 9.

There's a PDF available at: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-E.161-200102-I/en
linking to the E.161 document on "Arrangement of digits, letters and symbols
on telephones and other devices that can be used for gaining access to a
telephone network"

Garrett Sloan
VE6RKY