[aprssig] APRS RAIN Report

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 29 19:14:33 EDT 2008

> Any [display] differences with the
> new APRS HT, Yaesu VX-8R?

Haven't seen one, held one, or know anything about it other than
the link you came up with below.  It looks like the display
width is up to 20 characters, so that is very compatible with
the 10x10x... format we have been encouraging for the last 10
years.

So the Amateur Radio Newsline object might be able to be
formatted something like this on the VX8R:

+---------------------+
| Newsline            |
| FFF.FFFMHz Tu 930PM |
| de AARC repeater.   |
+---------------------+

Though it would show on the D700 as:
+-------------+
| Newsline    |
| FFF.FFFMHz  |
|  Tu 930PM   |
| de AARC     |
+-------------+

And on the D7 as:
+------------+
| Newsline   |
| FFF.FFFMHz |
|  Tu 930PM  |
+------------+

And on the D710 as:
+---------------+
| Newsline      |
| FFF.FFFMHz Tu |
| 930PM de AARC |
| repeater.     |
+---------------+

And on the HAMHUD or any CLIENT as:
"Newsline: FFF.FFFMHz Tu 930PM de AARC repeater."

As you can see, it is a fun challenge to pick a format for a
comment text that fits nicely on all mobile displays.

> Beware Large 7MB filesize (four-page VX-8R/E brochure):
> http://www.hamradio.co.uk/pdf/VX-8R.pdf

Thanks Cap
Bob, Wb4APR

Bruninga
> > Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 09:56 AM
> > To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
> > Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS RAIN Report
> >

> > I prepared a WEB page to help those Newslink, RAIN and ARRL
> > audio volunteers to get their objects on the air:
> > http://www.aprs.org/On-Air-beacons.html
> >
> > Are there any other typical such applications I should
include