[aprssig] Service Monitor required

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Sun Sep 28 21:20:58 EDT 2008

R.M. King wrote:

> The one real caveat is one must use a good service monitor to set the
> deviation at 9600 Baud.  You can NOT guess by listening to the recovered
> audio. It just doesn't work.

This would help a lot even at 1200. If you just LISTEN to a moderately
busy channel, it is amazing anything decodes at all.

Years ago ran a commercial network at 1200 baud. We had EXCELLENT
results, because ALL radios were the same; discriminate audio out, flat
audio in. All were set up properly with an accurate frequency counter,
service monitor, and spectrum analyzer. We used ONE brand of radios and
TNCs.

It showed me what a properly tuned network of 40 or so stations was
capable of. Have never seen such performance on 1200 baud 144.xxx
because of the variety of gear, tnc's and most set improperly, and some
useing flat audio, and some using de-emphasized audio.

de Mark WA2MCT

--
      ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
     ( (     Echolink 221408      Grid Square EL17HQ
   `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com