[aprssig] Extending javAPRSSrvr's dupeTime

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Sep 22 19:54:20 EDT 2008

Mark KC5EVE wrote...

> You likely have a KPC-3 in your area that is causing the problem.

Is this documented anywhere? I'm not sure that there is any more chance
of delays from a KPC-3 or KPC-3+ than with any other TNC. If the TNC is
holding off until the frequency is clear (or the squelch closes) how
would one kind of TNC be "more responsible" for delays than any other
TNC?

I run with the squelch wide open and use "software carrier detect" in
KPC-3 / 3+ TNCs. With no squelch to deal with, the TNC often detects
packets that it otherwise wouldn't hear if the squelch didn't open. Of
course, if the frequency is continuously busy, any TNC could hold off
until it was quiet whether it was using squelched audio or not. However,
when using squelched audio, if the squelch is set too lightly, it could
easily cause delays. I'm just not sure why you seem to be making a
blanket statement that the problem is uniquely or mostly caused by KPC-3
TNCs... unless it is because most digis are using KPC-3s?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH