[aprssig] Extending javAPRSSrvr's dupeTime

J T w0jrt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 15:10:54 EDT 2008

No, it is not advisable to increase that time.  One drawback is message retry latency.  And even increasing it to 90 seconds won't always fix this kind of problem -- some times these delayed packets can be sent even hours late, not just a minute or two.  Notice what is common about all of the delayed packets -- they all went through the VE2FET-1 I-gate.  The best solution would be to work with VE2FET to resolve the real problem instead of trying to patch it at the APRS-IS level.

This topic comes up once or twice a year on the APRSSIG.  If you search the archives for "delayed packets" you'll find more information.  There are many potential causes.  Frequent causes include a KPC-3 in KISS mode, and cheap USB to serial converters.

-Jerome, W0JRT