[aprssig] APRS Instant Messaging via WIFI.

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 21 13:53:04 EDT 2008

Instant Messaging on APRS has been around a long time.

And although I often focus my thinking on RF, I think there certainly is good reason to use APRS messaging whenever one's laptop is in range of WIFI.  In fact, I think some of you have written such small APRS instant messaging routines.

I had proposed an APRS messaging client for the small OLPC laptop.  Just a small window that lets one "instant message" via APRS whenever the little laptop was in range of WIFI.
I'd like to add a list of all of such APRS messaging capabilities in one place.  Here is the page:

www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/APRS-OLPC.html

On Monday, I will change the title to be APRS Messaging via WIFI and take suggested links to other such capabilities being offered.

The whole focus of APRS (and specifically since Katrina) has been to make sure that APRS facilitates human-to-human 2-way ham radio communications.  Having everyone's VOICE FREQUECY in their packets and being able to instantly voice (if in range) or message if out of range, is another powerful technique!

Bob, WB4APR