[aprssig] APRStt (APRS touchtone DTMF)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 16:35:10 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:
>>> APRStt coming soon!
>>>
>>>  but this will be a new version that
>>> runs under windows using only the sound
>>> card for both DTMF decoding and Voice-Back synthesis.
>>>
>> Ehhh...is this going to be available on platforms
>> that are suitable for unattended operation? (sigh)
>>

> I sure hope so.  For 8 years I have been trying to get all
> Repeater controllers with DTMF and Voice, and Echolink, and IRLP
> and anything that listens for DTMF to add this simple
> translation to APRS.  And from APRS to voice..  But so far I
> have not had much success.

This is going to require that the Echolink or IRLP operator add a second
sound system to the PC running their apps, since the PC's sound system
is already taken by the existing VoIP application.    If the machine is
a relatively fast unit (i.e. P-III 500/600 Mhz or higher not burdened
with an el-cheapo brain-dead CPU-resource-sucking
software-instead-of-hardware   motherboard sound system) it should be
able to support a second PCI-bus sound card without difficulty.  (Or a
USB-connected external sound device .)

A critical requirement for the APRStt software will be to provide the
option to choose WHICH sound card (of more than one) to use.    [Some
soundcard apps such as AGWpe, mmSSTV and MixW allow you to choose sound
cards within the program, but a surprising number of ham apps leave you
stuck with the Windows default sound system only.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps