[aprssig] Followup to 2009 Data Updates for MS MapPoint -- Good News For XE

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 09:48:20 EDT 2008

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> Microsoft MapPoint is used as the map source for APRSpoint,  and can
> be used with UIview via the UIpoint plugin.
>
> The 2009 editions of Microsoft MapPoint and Streets & Trips have now
> been (or are about to be) released.  [Not certain about the schedule
> for the  European versions of these two programs.]

After playing with the MapPoint 2009 data update for a few days, I have
discovered that the 2009 edition data now covers

      ALL OF MEXICO AT STREET LEVEL DETAIL!

This not just some of the larger cities.  Even the smallest towns and
villages now reveal full city street detail when you zoom in.  This
significant upgrade isn't even mentioned on the Microsoft website for
MapPoint 2009.  [The previous versions showed major highways only in
Mexico, with no city street-level detail except in Mexico City.]

This means that XE hams using APRSpoint, or UIview with the UIpoint
plug-in, can now have the same kind of highly-detailed fully scrollable,
zoomable-to-street-level APRS mapping that we have had in the U.S. and
Canada for years.

Now the question is:  Has all this Mexican street detail been calibrated
to WGS84 so it will work properly with GPS,  or is it referenced to some
obscure datum from the 18th century colonial era???

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps