[aprssig] APRS demo

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Mon Sep 15 01:46:08 EDT 2008

Thanks Keith!  From your explanation, I think I'm getting a better grasp
of the issue.  This is probably a bigger problem out here in "flyover
country" where there are no mountains and igates are relatively sparse.

I wonder if there would be a way to use findu data to analyze the
distribution of I-Gates, and to suggest the best "local message hops"
setting for each I-Gate?

Is the I-Gate function smart enough to send a message back along the
same path on which it heard the recipient station?  I might feel better
about asking an I-Gate op to bump up his local-message-hops if he
wouldn't be blasting packets out in all directions.  Then again, aprs
message packet volume is pretty low compared all the other aprs traffic
out there, so it maybe it's not a big deal.

   --Jeff N0JUH