[aprssig] APRS demo

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Sun Sep 14 16:44:40 EDT 2008

Hi Herb-

The promise of messaging from remote areas is what got me started in
APRS.  I've found lots of ways to have fun with APRS, but I've been
pretty disappointed in that original hope of wilderness messaging (where
  "wilderness" can even mean an interstate outside of an urban area.)

When I've tried messaging/email from remote locations via I-Gates, I can
often get a message out, but can't receive replies because the I-Gates
restrict the number of hops on a reply.

I've asked about this before, and the answer has been, "contact the
I-Gate op and have him tweak his settings for your call and location."
That can certainly work, *if* I know in advance what I-Gates I will be
able to reach and can actually contact the operator :)

How are the I-Gates configured for messaging in NWAPRS land?  (didn't
see it offhand on the website.)  Are the settings something that can be
generalized for other places - or will they only work with your region's
particular set of mountaintops and high-octane coffee? :)

The I-Gate ops that I have talked to have been more than happy to adjust
  settings to meet my needs.  But they are generally not knowledgeable
about what settings *should* be.  If we had some standards listed on the
"settings cheat sheets" posted by nwaprs, kcaprs and others, maybe we
would have more reliable messaging coverage.

Thanks!

   --Jeff, N0JUH