[aprssig] guessed time zone using aprs.fi

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Sep 13 16:28:54 EDT 2008

   Hi,

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Art Alto wrote:

> When that happens on to me, the only way I have been able to fix it is to delete all
> cookies and restart the browser.

   That'll only make aprs.fi retry guessing the timezone. For some areas,
the guessing code simply guesses wrong. It works just fine for most
people, and for some, it always gets it wrongs. It thinks everyone working
for Nokia (Corporation) are actually located in the city of Nokia,
Finland.

   Currently the only real option is to select UTC on aprs.fi, which, of
course, does not really fix the problem. I should do a proper "pick any
timezone" selection, like openaprs has (it's actually been "half done" for
about a year now - I have the timezones database loaded in already).

   The complication here is that the *some* of the time formatting happens
on the client computer's side (in the Javascript code which runs on your
web browser). Over there I can practically only select between UTC and the
local time as decided by your web browser / operating system. There are no
javascript localtime conversion functions which would take an arbitrary
timezone definition (at least I couldn't find them :), and it'd be a pain
to reimplement them with the DST stuff and everything. The "guessed" local
time will be whatever you have selected in your operating system.

   So, to do arbitrary timezone selection properly, I'll have to move all
of the localtime conversions from the client-side code to the server side,
and that'll make things marginally slower for everyone. Now the server is
just giving Unix-style timestamp integers (seconds since 1.1.1970 00:00:00
UTC [1]) to everyone who is looking at the real-time map, and the web
browser gets to do the localtime conversion when it's needed. If your
operating system knows your proper timezone, you'll notice that the
real-time map view (the target info balloons etc.) gets it just right.

   Yes, I'm going to do this eventually. The performance hit is marginal,
it'll just eat a bit more memory on the web browser's side (to store the
text strings for the timestamps instead of small integers), and a bit more
CPU on the server side (to do the conversions for everyone). I'm trying to
keep track of all of these and gain a little bit of extra performance
everywhere I can, to keep things running quickly.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

   - Hessu, OH7LZB