[aprssig] Southeast Oklahoma APRS

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:27:47 EDT 2008

I'm in Ada, Oklahoma, not very much APRS out here.  I have the TM-D700
and a magnetic mount antenna in the rental car, but I can only
transmit up to 25 watts from the temporary power connection to the
cigarette lighter.  Every so often, I hear one of my packets get
digipeated.  I've seen a few mobiles within 50 miles, but many packets
come from 100 or 200+ miles away.  Now this would be really crazy back
near DC, but out here, there just aren't that many packets in the air,
so I guess it is OK.

Some of the digipeaters seem ot use tactical calls, which is unusual,
but they all have call sign in the text.  I did see one repeater
object that is near the digi, I'm going to try and reach it tonight.

I may give the satellites a try, but I only have my cheap magnetic
mount antenna.  I couldn't find the connector I needed to hook up my
portable yagi to the D700, so I didn't pack it.

There seems to be more APRS activity around Oklahoma City, I'll be
driving to the airport during the morning commute, so I should see a
good.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R