[aprssig] FW: Montreal APRS Activity

julien mervyn dedier julien9z4fz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:31:40 EDT 2008

Well done Bob what you are saying is true very little real time action on
APRS,here in Trinidad and Tobago real time action is alive short text
message always on the go any thing happening you can sure to see it on APRS
map so Bob Wb4APR we support your call 100% ,apparently lots of hams have
APRS as door stoppers .and not what it is intended for.

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Ah, another  Tracker-City...
> This report sent to me from Canada...
>
> > I am vacationing ...[near montreal].. With my D710...
> > On my AVMAP-G5 map... I am amazed at the number
> > of APRS mobiles... in Montreal, an average of 15
> > on any one day.  ; In... Philadelphia I never see
> > this many mobiles...>
> >
> > I have been here for 10 days and have tried numerous
> > APRS stations to engage in a text message conversation
> > to no avail.  I get good ... acks for messages sent....
> > It is like they setup the APRS station then walk away...
> > [not even any... Voice Alert setups...
>
> Shows how far APRS Tracker mentality has gotten APRS away from
> the tactical real-time communiations between humans.  Everyone
> needs to get APRS back on track or it will die of boredom:
>
> 1) Put your mobile on Voice Alert (VA) and monitor...
> 2) Chat with other APRS users when heard direct on VA
> 3) Include your Voice Freq in your packets
> 4) Make sure all digis are putting out their Voice Freqs
>
> See www.aprs/localinfo.html
>
> Lets communicate (2-way)... That is what Ham radio is all about
> and it is the only way to get more people incvolved in APRS...
> That is, have something to help them communiate, anywhere,
> anytime...
>
> See what your own beacon looks like to other mobiles on the
> oaprs web page.  It shows a D7 screen on the left side.
>
> See www.oaprs.net
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

THANKS

JULIEN
9Z4FZ//Trinidad & Tobago Amateur Radio Station.
M0JDD//United Kingdom Amateur Radio Station.
M0JDD/J3//Grenada Amateur Radio Station.
http://www.ttarl.org