[aprssig] (Slightly OT) What is solar panel power output?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 9 18:07:06 EDT 2008

>> solar panels...  In full sunlight, two of them
>> in parallel put out  19.88v open circuit  and
>> 4.78a short circuit.  How does that translate
>> to power available at 13.2v nominal for running
>> the rigs and charging the battery?

It doesn't relate.  At open circuit you get zero power because
there is no current, and at short circuit you get plenty of amps
but again, no "power" because volts is zero.  Plotting curent
versus voltage is called the IV curve for a solar PV panel.  The
power available at any operating point is the area under the
curve at that point.  The peak power point is somehwere near the
"knee" of the curve..

The sharpness of the knee relates to solar panel quality.  But
to answer your question, I would say that you will probably get
peak power around 15 volts and the current will maybe be 4 amps.
Or about 60 watts...

Bob, Wb4APR