[aprssig] Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Sep 3 22:12:50 EDT 2008

Ok, here's my problem with this sort of solution.  If you want to build
one or two for yourself and don't mind putting a lot of work into a
one-off, it can be just fine.

But when there aren't large numbers of ready-to-use, standard devices,
equipping larger groups and sharing your work with others is difficult.
  You wind up with a how-to that usually goes something like "get x
model of y device, make sure it's not version z or later because they
changed the board layout, cut a hole here and breadboard a MAX232 and
wire it to the pads here.  Get a compactflash reader and mount a card on
a Linux box and load this image, find the updated device drivers for xyz
(not available here due to copyright restrictions), download Xastir and
apply patch abc..."

Don't get me wrong, I love trolling eBay for deals on hardware and
putting it to good use, but sometimes it's just not the right solution.

"Semi-custom" solutions are hard to do right.  Ask anyone who's worked
for the Air Force in the last 10 years who's had to use the Defense
Messaging System (or, God forbid, install a DMS server) about just how
ugly that can get.  (Bonus points if anyone can find a copy of the
cartoon from Federal Computer Week showing passengers being offloaded
from a covered wagon marked AUTODIN and climbing on to the DMS bus, up
on jacks and with a mechanic still working on the engine.)

Scott
N1VG