[aprssig] [SPAM] Re: Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Jesse (KC5LOS) kc5los at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 20:11:11 EDT 2008

I was thinking the same thing! If the T2 will work like UI-View and the
D710 pass traffic to the Nuvi thru the T2 as if it were UI-View with the
menu turned on then I should have the Cake and eat it as well. I really
am not concerned about the waypoints and it they show up with the
correct icons. Nuvi wasn't really designed for APRS anyways. But with a
callsign you have a idea if the icons are close.

If I read the UI-View group correctly they were able to be in APRS mode
on the D710 and see traffic in UI-View and still message as well. Even
if messaging doesn't work I still use the keypad on the '710 but I can
see what is close to me. I think what comes outa the serial port on the
back of the control head is APRS packet traffic and the T2 should be
able to decode that? But the T2 is also looking for packet burst as well
not somthing that has already been decoded....

Thanks Scott for the Update. I'll wait for the translator for the 710.
Really what I am looking for. Didn't want alot of hardware or atleast
more than what I already have!