[aprssig] Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Sep 3 12:04:07 EDT 2008

The problem with these devices is getting the people capable of programming
to find the time to do it. From day one there has always been an interest to
use PDA'S and other small devices. APRSCe support was dropped years ago and
Windows mobile has not trickled down enough to spur developers to write
something. I'd like to use the ASUS EePC as a device for mobile APRS, but
there again someone needs to do all the hard work to make it easy for the
rest of the ham radio masses to implement. As always in ham radio it takes a
huge amount of time from one or just a few individuals to get something like
that off the ground. It's usually a thankless job and you get a lot of
attitude from people who complain about free stuff and they have no clue
about how much something like this would cost in the real world. This
attitude, I suspect is keeping people from doing just what you are saying.
Over the years I have seen such crass behavior towards product developers
that I am surprised they don't just give up and walk away. I'm certainly
glad they had tough skin and worked through the comments, but that takes an
extraordinary person. There just aren't a lot of people who will put up with
that......sorry to say.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC