[aprssig] internet -> APRS, and universal messaging

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 16:42:41 EDT 2008

Jan T. Pharo wrote:
> "universal messaging" (from the subject) and "Part 97" (which seem to
> be some regulatory thing which I don't know) - is that "Part 97"
> universal?

Part 97 is the section of the United States Federal Communications
Commission regulations dealing with amateur radio, by contrast with
commercial broadcasting, aviation comms, marine radio, public safety
radio, etc.

It is a turgid mass of bureaucratese that trys to be relatively
unrestrictive (compared to the other services) and at the same time gets
incredibly "nit-picky" on trivial issues.

[The other part of FCC regs that you often hear about on these lists is
Part 15 which deals with unlicensed transmitters such as toy walkie
talkies, cordless phones, remote garage door openers, WiFi radios, etc
and unintentional RF radiation from radio local oscillators, microwave
ovens, etc.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

World Digipeater Map