[aprssig] internet -> APRS, and universal messaging

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:12:40 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I think one of the concerns, beyond the "third party traffic"
> legalities, is that with such a capability ham radio would be straying
> into an area that is more properly the area of other radio services.

It seems to me the subject at hand (as Bob introduced it, anyway) is
the use of amateur radio to gateway messages to those other services,
especially during emergencies.

Of course, we can do whatever is needed ("any means necessary") to
communicate in an emergency, but to make it usable we need something
we can "play" with on a day to day basis, so that we are familiar with
the system and are ready to deploy it in an emergency.

-Jason
kg4wsv